Thursday, May 1, 2008

Our First Spring


Finally spring arrived, we called the vet out to do spring vaccines and to check Kirwan's back. She had been sound all winter and gotten so friendly she didn't seem like the same horse.
When the vet did his exam he made a few adjustments but said she had healed well just by having some time off. He said go ahead and start riding her. I said, "YOU get on her!" He smiled and went on his way.
From the first time I got on her she never bucked and acted like she had always been ridden. She had a lot to learn but always tried to understand what I was asking, the first time I cued her to canter she picked up the correct lead and has always done so.
Apparently when Standardbreds are raced they have a check strap to keep their nose in the air and some have straps to keep their heads straight, Kirwan seemed to have had both on her as a race horse because when I started riding her she would stretch her head out and twist it side to side looking for the support of those straps. It was funny to watch her moving her head around but also sad to think she didn't know how to hold her head when she had her bridle on. The first time I got on her was in May of 2000 and by August I decided she was ready for her first show, it was a three phase show (dressage, cross country jumping and stadium jumping) I knew she wasn't ready for dressage and this farm (The Eddy Farm- Middlebury, Vt) is such a friendly place to show you can do which ever phases you want. We did both jumping phases at 18", there were 21 cross country jumps and 16 stadium jumps, she cleared them all and never even blinked at all the "scary" cross country jumps!! I was so proud of her, we got a blue ribbon!!

No comments: