Thursday, March 20, 2008

Kirwan's Folly



My horse, Kirwan's Folly was raced under the name Emily Mac. She is a 1994 Standardbred, bred in New Hampshire and raced in Saratoga New York. Since my daughter's name is Emily we decided to change Emily Mac's name. We named her after my Great Grandfather Thomas Kirwan who is the only Equine link on either side of my family, he was a mounted policeman in Boston during the depression. He also competed in dressage on the weekends with his police mount and won many silver cups. And Folly comes from my favorite movie, National Velvet. When I looked it up in Webster's the meaning of the word was perfect "any foolish action, any foolish and useless but expensive undertaking, action that ends or can end in disaster" And that's why we named our farm Folly Farm.

No comments: